You know the saying, “Don’t sweat the small stuff.” As we go about our everyday lives, that saying makes a lot of sense. It’s important not to lose sight of the big picture.
In a high-touch services business, however, it’s often the “small stuff” that defines your company. By the small stuff, I mean the personal attention to detail that gives your service the edge and enlists customer loyalty.
At Smarthinking, we are driven by the details. Our focus is on improving student learning in a most personal way — one-to-one interactions between tutor and student. What’s the important detail that sets our tutors apart? Attention to academic excellence and to student learning. Our tutors are thoroughly trained in best online teaching practices and know how to encourage learning through the ages-old Socratic method. Led by our seasoned, education management team, we hire tutors with masters and Ph.D.-level credentials. And we carefully oversee our tutoring team to ensure that the best teaching and learning is taking place.
When I’m asked to explain our business, people get our concept very quickly. But the business concept doesn’t tell the whole story — what truly sets us apart from other online tutoring companies. So, here are some other important details—“the small stuff” —of Smarthinking…
• Over 12 years in business
• Over 4,000,000 tutorial sessions delivered to date
• Average wait time for drop in tutoring for all subjects is less than 2 minutes with a mean of less than 30 seconds
• Average return time for an essay is less than 20 hours
• ESOL specialists available for students in our Online Writing Lab
• 91% of students surveyed would recommend Smarthinking services to a friend
• More than 1,500 active tutors
• 90% of our tutors hold a masters or Ph.D. with an average of 9 years instructional experience
• All sessions are archived for later review by student or instructor
• Our tutor force is managed by a team of professional education managers, each having a minimum of 10 years program management experience and who all hold a masters or Ph.D. in their given fields.
We’re passionate about helping students succeed and proud of our track record. Keeping our wait times short and our quality high allows us to achieve the goal of delivering the best learning experiences to students in over 1,000 colleges in the USA and abroad.
Sweating the small stuff isn’t easy. But it’s eminently worth it.
Chuck Kleiner, Ed.D., Chief Sales & Marketing Officer, Smarthinking